There are no magic pills when it comes to fat loss.
But there is some evidence that drinking green tea — or taking a green tea supplement — can make your fat loss program even more effective.
Green tea is loaded with beneficial ingredients
Green tea has a wide array of health benefits. It’s been shown to improve brain function, increase insulin sensitivity and improve digestion. But one of its best qualities is that it can help help you burn fat faster.
Green tea contains catechins, which are powerful antioxidants. The main catechin in green tea is Epigallocatechin Gallate, or EGCG.
EGCG and the other catechins in green tea have been shown to:
- boost metabolism during and after exercise
- inhibit carbohydrate uptake
- prolong thermogenesis (fat burning)
- increase norepinephrine (a key fat loss hormone)
- provide cellular-protective antioxidants
- support your immune system
As you probably know, green tea also contains significant caffeine. During exercise, caffeine helps to mobilize fatty acids to be used for energy. Caffeinated workouts tend to burn more fat than non-caffeinated ones.
You get this same effect from coffee, energy drinks, etc. But when caffeine interacts with the EGCG in green tea, the effect is amplified.
How to maximize your fat loss results
Best results are achieved upwards of 200-300 mg of EGCG per day. But the average brewed cup contains only about 50 mg. So drinking green tea for fat loss requires a lot of tea, five or more cups daily.
That’s a lot of wired trips to the bathroom. You may want to consider taking green tea extract instead.
Green tea extract gives you all the benefits, without having to drink tea all day long. Or you can combine tea and extract as you see fit. In either case, caffeinated green tea should be consumed before your workouts.
Other things to consider:
- Choose a high-quality tea. Cheap, low-quality teas often contain excessive amounts of fluoride.
- Be aware of your caffeine intake. Excessive caffeine can disrupt sleep and circadian rhythm. This will hinder your fat burning and appetite regulation. Both tea and extract are available in decaf versions.
- It’s not a magic bullet. Get your diet in order. Get on the right training program for your goals. Remember that this is a supplemental strategy. Get the basics nailed down first, and taking green tea for fat loss will be more effective.