If you track your food intake on an Flexible/IIFYM diet, you have an intimate relationship with protein, fat and carbohydrate. And if you ‘eat clean’ on top of this, you probably have an ideal diet.
One way to ensure optimal health (and digestive health) is to track your fiber intake along with your macros. It’s an easy way to make sure you’re getting the best variety of healthy foods while still maintaining muscle mass and keeping low body fat.
Benefits of a high-fiber diet include:
- Helps maintain digestive/lower GI health
- Lowers cholesterol levels
- Regulates appetite – keeps you fuller longer
- Helps control blood sugar levels
- Keeps you regular (which is especially useful if you have a high-protein diet, or you take creatine)
The recommended daily intake is 25g for women and 38g for men. Most people’s actual intake is much lower — around 15g. Fruits, vegetables, legumes (beans) and whole grains are all good sources. So if you haven’t already, add some of these to your diet.
If you already track macros, it’s easy to add fiber to the mix. Whether you use an app or do it manually, include it in your daily presets. It’s an easy way to better health.